Friday, April 24, 2009

Bees and Ladybugs

Summer must be around the corner, as I seem to be making lots of sugarpaste decorations with bees and ladybugs.  The lady bug cupcakes were Lemon with Vanilla Buttercream.

The bee cupcakes below were almond sour cream cupcakes with honey buttercream.  This isn't a regular flavor on my menu - I was recipe testing.  Next week, I will be testing out coconut cake and dulce du leche.
This cake was a 1st birthday cake topped with a tiara, some flowers and a couple bees - the colors and design were copied from a photo the client provided. I just added the tiara as it was a princess themed party and also a sugarpaste character of her daughter. The bottom tier was chocolate fudge cake and the top was vanilla butter cake.

12 comments:

Baker's Cakes said...

Looks like you've been busy!!! Adorable as usual! The Almond Cake with Honey Buttercream sounds amazing!!! I love testing recipes :)

Coco Cake Land said...

hi juanita! the cupcakes and cake are so cute! loving the sound of your flavours too... yes, recipe testing is so fun!!

Ali said...

Very cute bugs - if you can say that bugs are cute.

Giraffikiki Kids said...

Hi Juanita! I heard about you through Kelly :) and featured you on my Fab Finds Friday!

Beautiful work!

Frostedbetty said...

Love the colors on this cake :)

Nada said...

everything sounds so yummmmmy and looks so cute!

SweetThingsTO said...

Thank you so much ladies! Appreciate all your kind comments. Juanita

John's Arts & Crafts said...

Very Creative! New blog on the Hx. of the Ladybug:
http://historyoftheladybug.blogspot.com/

veggievixen said...

oh my god those cupcakes are SO CUTE! how did you make the bees/ladybugs?

SweetThingsTO said...

VeggieVixen - The bees and ladybugs are made out of sugarpaste/ gumpaste. To decorate the ladybugs, I used tiny pieces of black fondant. For the bees, I started with black fondant, but ended up painting the stripes on with edibile color.

Maybe I'll put together another tutorial - I haven't done one in a while!

Hayley said...

those bees are my favorite! sooo adorable.

Jack T said...

Hello Juanita,

these cubes are really elegant. Compliment.

Greeting Jacktel